I would do it in a heartbeat down here where it would make a lot of sense but
the utilities continue to hamstring consumers every way possible to prevent us
from installing net metering systems.  And I would also put in a battery bank
as well, as without it you’re not allowed to run independent of the grid, which
is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard of.

Last major hurricane we had all the solar people were touting how even with the
grid down people would have power. Wrong!  Code requires that if the utility
goes offline, your solar array goes offline as well.  If you have a storage
system of some sort using batteries you can disconnect from the grid legally.

-D