Not sure.

They consist of a wiper on a resistance element.  Since it’s submerged in
gasoline I would expect it to be pretty robust.  Other than some corrosion from
condensation on the case that covers the resistive element everything was in
good shape.  In an earlier blog post I detailed removing and repairing the
sender, as the pivot was stuck in place due to it just sitting for a long time
in the top of the tank without being covered in fuel.  I suspect there was
condensation that formed in the top of the tank which caused the corrosion.

After removing the sender and soaking the pivot with some Kroil it freed up
easily. I don’t recall how the pivot was secured, but I didn’t try to
disassemble it. I just put a few drops of light oil on it and moved it around a
number of times to make sure it was moving freely.  I also hit the resistive
element and wiper with some DeOxIt fader cleaner.

Replacing the cork gasket was a big win, too, as when I went out in the garage
this morning I didn’t smell fuel. One thing I mentioned in the blog post was
that the cork gasket holes, despite looking that way, were not symmetrical.  I
found out the hard way because I just pressed it into place and it was clearly
not right.  I gently removed it from the tank and used the gauge sender flange
as a reference, turning it to line up the holes. They only matched exactly in
one position.

-D