I'd say you need to separate engine from transmission and replace the ring
gear on the flywheel.  Have an Indie you can ask for a quote?  I'll bet
that will be at least a few hundred dollars for the labor.  A good indie
might even have a used part in stock, both the shops that I like keep a
supply of old cars around for parts.
Max
Charleston SC