The ring gears are fairly cheap.  If you are REALLY cheap, you take the old one off and flip it over so new teeth surface is in contact with the starter drive.  This is a common repair  on a farmall.  If I split a tractor, I will flip  the ring gear or put a new one one.  You can drove the old one off cold.  To install, you heat the ring gear in an oven, then drop it on, make  sure it is seated well and let it cool.

At least on an old tractor, when the starter sticks, you can rock it back and forth with the big tars to free the starter and then try again.