archer wrote:
Steve Auto Clinics in Zambia have a long and seemingly thorough discussion of EGT versus engine life:
http://www.steves.co.za/Engine_Protection_Units_1.html
From reading it I get the impression that the typical Italian Tuneup might
be somewhat risky.

I've NEVER heard of an unmodified Mercedes diesel "burning" up from running at permissible loads. If it's dangerous, Mercedes either prevents it or tells you to NOT do it. All of the "melted" engines I know of came after people defeated the systems that controlled power output.

I've NEVER heard of a Mercedes turbodiesel burning up from running flat out and I've driven dozens of 'em that way.!

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)