You might have something there. I knew a farmer who used his old 200D to take as many bags of feed as the car would hold to his cattle way out in the field. He took the seats out and piled feed sacks up to the roof and in the trunk. He started using it because his pickup truck kept breaking suspension parts. The 200D never broke anything.
GerryA

----- Original Message ----- From: "redghost" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Toss a bunch of sand bags into the trunk and then try to reach highway
speeds.  Might have a few in the rear foot wells.  400 lb ought to give
the car a work out.

archer wrote:
Steve Auto Clinics in Zambia have a long and seemingly thorough
discussion
of EGT versus engine life:
http://www.steves.co.za/Engine_Protection_Units_1.html
From reading it I get the impression that the typical Italian Tuneup
might
be somewhat risky.

I've NEVER heard of an unmodified Mercedes diesel "burning" up from
running at permissible loads. If it's dangerous, Mercedes either
prevents it or tells you to NOT do it. All of the "melted" engines I
know of came after people defeated the systems that controlled power
output.

I've NEVER heard of a Mercedes turbodiesel burning up from running
flat
out and I've driven dozens of 'em that way.!

Marshall
-----------------------------------
In a previous article about Italian tuneups you wrote:

...........The chain stretch should be below 5 degrees or so, the
valves
should be properly adjusted, the air and fuel filters should be
verifiably
clean, and there should be clean and it would probably be best if the
injection pump timing is known to be pretty close to correct (within a
couple of degrees).............
http://articles.mbz.org/engine/diesel/italian/

If one or all of these conditions are not met, does that mean a
turbodiesel
"could" self destruct in your opinion?

Note:  I'm not trying to prove you wrong by any means.  I'm simply
trying to
work out a method whereby those of us who are a long way from mountain
grades can do the equivalent of an Italian tuneup.  Some of us on this
group
cannot "afford" to blow up an engine, but we would still like to make
our
engines run better and more economically.

Gerry Archer