On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 19:12:48 +0000 (UTC) Curt Raymond via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Has anybody got any experience with a 24v to 12v converter?

Not that exact item, but other types of DC-DC converters.

> I'm thinking to switch from 3x 100w 12v solar panels at camp to 3x 250w
> 24v panels but we've made great use of the 12v nature of the system and
> will need to convert the 24v down.

A DC-DC converter (specifically a buck converter) would to that.

> The other option is to keep adding 100w panels but I hate climbing
> around on the slippery metal roof. I'm thinking that with the big
> panels we'd be done for a good long time.

Where would the 250 W panels be installed?

Or do you mean that removing the three 100 W panels and then installing
three 250 W panels would be less climbing than installing four to five
100 W panels?

> We'd have to replace the batteries too, as far as I know using 12v
> batteries they need to be matched sets but we're talking about doubling
> the battery capacity we have now anyway...

Yes, they need to be matched sets. You might get away with matched pairs,
but I wouldn't count on it.

> Amazon has a bunch of adapters cheap, like <$20 cheap. We'll probably
> need less than 20a capacity...

A buck converter can be pretty simple ...
I don't know how reliable a < $20 converter would be ...

Craig