Heard this a.m. that they recovered the jack screw from the horizontal tail and
it was trimmed to pitch the nose down.

I don't agree with Grant that it is reasonable for pilots to know everything
about their jet.  In my experience, commercial pilots know the least, military
pilots know nearly everything in the flight manual, and test pilots know a
great deal more.  But nobody really knows everything in the software.

I recall an incident about 30 years ago where an F-16 began an uncommanded
pitch oscillation (about +3g to -1g) for 10-20 secs that began during
aggressive maneuvering.  This oscillation stopped as suddenly and mysteriously
as it began.  That F-16 had a quad redundant digital flight control system and
sensors and no faults were indicated.  That means that all computers agreed on
every calculation and the air data sensors agreed on every measurement
throughout the anomaly.  As far as I know, the cause was never found.

I don't condemn all digital flight controls.  I have seen F-16s land safely
with entire control surfaces (rudder, aileron, one slab) gone.  But risk
tolerance in an ejection-seat jet can be a lot higher than a commercial
airliner.

Scott