When not used according to instructions and when not used with specified torque!   Axle boots are broken/breaking on the 300d, so I get used axles with good boots  and proceed.  or not.  It took me hours to get one bolt  loose without stripping the ZXF head on the soft bolt.  the next 2stripped with beating.   The axle bolts are treated with locktite for over 2x diameter.  it should be 2 threads.  After soaking the bolts in locktite the genius jammed them in with a rattle wrench to somewhere between 100 and 200 ft lb.   My rattle rench is rated at 285 ft lb, (at a pressure just below what the thing explodes) and it won't touch the ones on the donor axles.  I didn't even bother trying it on the car.   I could not get the axle bolts to turn with a chisel and 2 lb LFH.  I have never before encountered bolt I could not turn with the chisel and LFH!!!

I finally settled on removing the inner boot and using the irwin stripped nut extractor.  I never get sore shoulders and I do all kinds of work.  My shoulders are SORE from just 6 bolts with a breaker bar.  Due to the excess of locktite,  the bolts fought all the way out.

I realize locktite has to be used in some applications, like japanese and british motorcycles and other stuff that shakes itself apart, but a drop is  all it takes!   I have NEVER needed locktite on any MB or BMW motorcycle.

The soft axle bolts and ZXF heads were never designed for 100+ ft lb.   The heads will strip every time.  bolting the axles on without locktite and about 50 ft lb has worked every time.  I have NEVER had an axle bold come loose.  These were as close to being welded in as you can get without actually using a welder.

I have 6 hours in replacing one axle.

On the good side, the rattle rench took off the outer axle nut!  YAY! (but I had them off to work on rear links)