Check the air flow sensor and temperature sensors -- sounds to me as if it's
running in normal warmed up closed loop mode when cold -- just like having the
choke stuck open on a carburetor.

A small vacuum leak can do the same thing, check for cracks in the intake
between the airflow sensor and the head.  My niece failed miserably at learning
to drive a stick shift on my BIL's BMW for this reason, she couldn't get the
car moving without stalling it.  "Typical intake manifold crack" was the
eventual diagnosis.

Peter