I used "eat" as a figurative term. Age, oxidation, and exposure to deleterious compounds are the main causes of o-ring and seal failure (breakdown of polymer chains). Technically, these parts don't "fail" they simply suffer from breakdown of the polymer chains. This leads to the part to fail to function as designed, but the part does not fail. Again, we are splitting hairs, between theory, science, and what happens in spite of theory and science.