A different slant:  I live in an antebellum house (somewhat updated) and there
have been bees in the wall for over 100 years. Given that time frame they must
be American honey bees.  They are not aggressive unless you rile them up, like
my roofer did last fall.  I guess they don't like nail guns.  When stirred up
they will chase specific individuals until they are a few hundred feet from the
hive.  My wall hive swarms 1-3 times a year to create a new hive somewhere in
the nearby woods.  On two occasions the swarm paused (like for a day or two)
nearby while scouts hunted for a new home. On those occasions, a local
beekeeper came collected them and added them to his hives.  One time the swarm
formed a "bee ball" about the size of a football on a very low tree branch and
I almost ran into it with the mower.  That would have been bad, I think.
Otherwise they don't seem to hurt anything so we coexist in this old house.