The rear axle SLS system on W114/5, W123, 124, 126 should maintain base
pressure irrespective of the position of the linkage. If the car sags it is
probably the base pressure valve spring. MB used to sell a rebuild kit for
that. Not sure if it still exists, as I haven't bout it for 15 years or so.

The linkage serves only to relay additional loads so that the system can react
and increase fluid volume to maintain the correct level. Even with the lever in
the "drain" position, the system should never discharge the base pressure.

D.