Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

> I got this method from a Ford factory manual in the 1990s.
> Drain and change filter, if applicable (my Cruze doesn't have a readily
> replaceable filter).
> Fill or slightly overfill.
> Unhook cooler line and connect to a clear vinyl hose.
> Start and idle the car.
> When you've pumped out almost as much as you put in, stop and put more in.
> When the fluid in the clear hose gets suddenly cleaner, stop and adjust fluid
> level as required.

Was going to suggest similar. Depending on the car you might need to
shift through R-N-D when idling to get the fluid circulating.

When I changed fluid in my Volvo this spring, I did the drain/fill x 3
method, driving a bit between drains to fully circulate the fluid. That
took a while, but by the third draining the fluid was substantially
cleaner.

Honda recommends the repeated drain/fill approach also.

You don't want to use "cheap" fluid for any of the fills in that method,
since some portion of it will remain. Use the manufacturer recommended
fluid. It seems somewhat wasteful but has the advantage of not messing
with cooler lines, where there always the chance of causing damage, or
introducing dirt into the system. That said, I will probably try it next
time since it should use a lot less fluid and save some time.

Allan