The blade is not loose at all in the guide bar. I didn't see any blockage
of the oil port, but will run it without the bar as you suggest. I might
try to blow air back through the port.
I use a generic bar oil from the local farm store - it's thick and has
worked for a couple of other saws. I do have some old cheap ATF to get rid
of ---
The chain/bar got hot enough to smoke last time, so I'll replace them and
try again.
I really like how this saw starts, runs, handles, and it used to cut
straight ...

--
OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain