Those outside temp modules fetch a pretty penny on eBay if the LCD is in good shape. In fact I suspect that when they die the only component that's actually bad, most of the time, is the display itself. Jim, if you can take one of those apart and figure out if that's in fact the case and how to hack in a cheap off-the-shelf LCD, you'll be a hero to many. (Obi-Jim Kenobi,
you're our only hope.)

I know of no way to fix the LCD once the seal has cracked.
I don't think the article I remember from a 70's electronics
magazine where you eyedroppered in bulk LCD fluid is really
applicable anymore!

-- Jim