I've had the opportunity to watch a good shingle mill in action belted to a
Farmall Super MD. I forget exactly but the sawblade was probably 20-24" in
diameter. The cool thing about this one is that it automatically advanced the
wood for the next cut. I *think* it alternated cuts so the wood stayed square
every 2 shingles. This one used a chunk of wood like a piece of firewood
standing on end, so it was already cut to length.
Its been probably 9 years since I saw that one in action. My buddy Steve has on
just like it but I've never seen it running. That reminds me, I need to finally
finish up the video of Steve's Metz & Weiss semi-diesel engine...
-Curt

    On Thursday, August 22, 2019, 4:14:54 PM EDT, Randy Bennell via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 On 22/08/2019 2:14 PM, Curley McLain via Mercedes wrote:
> Shingle mill is just a horizontal sawmill with shorter bolts.   Oh,
> and thick and thin is desired, not the product of a wornout mill and a
> mediocre sawyer.   THe old guy who sawed most of my logs was a good
> sawyer with a worn out mill.

My father built his own shingle mill not long before his demise. I
assume it went with the rest of the mill equipment when he sold it.

It was a small simple unit that required one to push the block of wood
through the saw blade. There was a sort of toggle that shifted the block
back and forth to cut fairly uniform angled shingles. I think he had it
set so that it cut a bit thicker on one direction than the other so that
the shingles, when nailed on, were staggered.

I never ran it or actually saw him run it as by the time he built it, I
had moved away. I remember him proudly showing me the contraption but
not much more about it.

Randy