YEP  That is how they work.

You can see one in action next weekend.  (5 days ending on Labor Day) at Midwest Old Settlers and Threshers Association annual reunion in Mt. Pleasant IA.  Allow at least 2 days if you go.   It was called the greatest steam show on earth 50 years ago, and probably still is.   Also sawmill, veneer mill, narrow ga railroad, electric trolleys, including one from Montreal (for our token Canuks)  probably 100 or so steam traction engines up to  110 HP Case, stationary steam engines, up to the Marshall.  There are also antique tractors, trucks and cars, the log village, the pioneer village, train robberies and tons of other stuff to do and see.   Of course there are threshing, mowing, binding, plowing, and baling demonstrations.

https://www.oldthreshers.org/files/Saturday%20Program%202019.pdf