He’s rolling the dice, that’s for sure.

50% off was *not* close to the negotiated amount. For example, the wife’s hip
replacement was billed at $137,000, give or take a few shekels. Insurance paid
out, including the *two* orthopedic surgeons it took to do the robotic
procedure, about $27,000, I believe.

I’m wondering if one could do that well on the bill if they agreed to pay ASAP.
As with any transaction, *everything* is negotiable. We did this in the past
when we were between insurers. A doctor who has treated the wife for over 20
years took cash, and charged far less than what the insurance company paid for
comparable treatment. She just explained our situation and he was like, “Heck,
I’ve go no problem with taking cash.”

-D