Excellent point, Karl, and nice to hear for someone in the “business”.

We have had a couple of things that have been done out of network The wife
works in the health care industry on the infrastructure (IT) side, and as a
result knows the back end of the business as far as claims processing, provider
agreements, etc., etc.

For whatever reason, we’ve never been able to get her reconstructive surgeon
accepted by our carrier. They simply make it as difficult as possible for some
disciplines to get on board, most likely because they don’t want to deal with
the costs, I’m guessing.

So we negotiate. Since our out of network copay is like $3k, we negotiate that
with the provider. In nearly every case we are able to get at least 50% knocked
off of that amount, if not more. And we pay cash at the time of service, which
also gives us leverage when negotiating, as the provider knows they’ve got
money in the bank when they’re going home that day.

Something else for everyone who uses private insurance to be aware of:

If you’ve got a provider who is out of network, but the carrier’s providers are
substandard or inadequate, you can ask for a waiver and challenge the carrier’s
choices. We did this with the reconstructive surgeon. Her carrier’s in network
providers weren’t board certified nor did they specialize in the type of
reconstruction work she desired. When the carrier denied the approval of the
(out of network) provider she chose she challenged them. A week later there was
a conference call between her, her cancer surgeon, a nurse advocate from her
employer, and a couple of people from the insurer. The insurer couldn’t make a
case for not approving the surgeon she chose, so they green lighted the work
and treated it as being in network.

On a related note, this same thing comes up with the stupid claim that some
forms of treatment are “experimental” when they’re being used in the
mainstream. I believe Aetna has gotten nailed on this a couple of times and
backed down. You can challenge the insurance company’s decisions. There is a
process for it and it does work. Unless whatever has to be done involves a life
threatening condition if you don’t like what they tell you, challenge them.
Just be sure to do your research and be calm and reasonable.

When I worked in the schools a peer of mine’s husband had some sort of muscular
issue where the muscles in his neck forced his head to be turned to one side.
Not only was it painful, it affected his ability to eat and he had to retire
early, as he certainly couldn’t teach. Whatever standard treatments were used
to address his condition didn’t work for him. He was like this for a couple of
years. One day I was talking to his wife, who was telling me about a hospital
in Jacksonville that had a procedure that could likely cure his condition, but
it was fairly new (not “experimental”). Our insurer had refused to pay for it.

When she told me this I asked her if she challenged the insurance company on
the denial. She didn’t know that was an option.

She went back to the practice that was doing the procedure and told them what
happened and asked if they could help her challenge the denial. She collected a
great deal of information where it had been done and paid for by other
carriers. The practice provided one of their people for the conference call
with the insurer. A couple of weeks later she got the approval.

Her husband’s condition was cured and he’s leading a pretty normal life now.

You gotta advocate for yourself. No one is going to do it for you. These
corporate behemoths certainly aren’t going to help you out, either, especially
if it’s going to affect their bottom line.

-D