Jim Cathey wrote:

In a sense.  If they're drawing proper current (55A) at all
they're not dead.  The plugs themselves are very robust, and
I believe will outlast the parallel plugs by a considerable
degree.  The connections to them, however, are vulnerable to
corrosion.  Each plug should measure approximately 1V between
its ring and tip terminals while glowing.  I've had trouble
with bad connections on my 240D skewing this so that one or
more plugs isn't getting full heat.

In my experience (5 cars with loop plugs) loop plugs usually require service at least every 75-100kmi. It MAY not only be the plugs that are the problem, but the carbon deposits around them (always ream out any carbon deposits whenever loop plugs are removed) and poor connections. The loops really are NOT ideally positioned - I don't think they project far enough into the prechamber - the parallel plugs put the heat in a much better place. Then there is the matter of more then half the heat being OUTSIDE the combustion chamber. The connections all MUST be pristine.

Every person that I've suggested parallel replacements to (and followed my advice) has thanked me and said it made a HUGE difference when starting the engine cold.

A battery with a high resistance internal connection COULD be the problem. Not real common with a quality battery that's only 2 years old, but it DOES happen. Have the battery load tested.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)