yep.  they started in the 70s.

fmiser via Mercedes wrote on 9/13/19 11:28 AM:
Curley wrote:
I thought HF had them for about $50, but they have raised prices
to where I can buy one locally for less.  My guess is that HF
has passed to the next generation, and they are greedy.  In the
last year or two their prices are often higher than elsewhere.
It is no longer the purveyor of cheep chinee chit.
Harbor Freight used to be Harbor Freight Salvage and was a mail
order outfit from somewhere in CA.  Their catalog was 1 color on
newsprint like paper - low cost.  I think it was about 1983 or so
that I first bought from them, but I'm pretty sure I had been
getting their catalogs for a while.