I got the valve adjustment done and the cover back on. The engine sounds much
quieter! Most exhaust valves were WAAAAAAY loose, nearly 1.5x the amount of
clearance! Intake valves were pretty good, and none were excessively tight. The
air filter housing had the wrong mounts, one of which had broken so it was
tilted to the side and totally away from the intake manifold. It sits properly
now with the new mounts, but they didn’t come with nuts, and the old mounts
were rigged, only one having the proper nut. Does anyone know the thread size
of the air filter mounting studs?
I think I’ve got most of the necessary linkage in place. There is no linkage
going to the device near the PS pump. Also, there is another linkage on the
intake manifold that used to operate a flap  that is no longer in place, and
that is also missing linkage (assuming that all of this ties into the throttle
linkage as well). The whole thing is like figuring out a puzzle since I don’t
have the luxury of consulting a manual, lots of trial and error. I still have a
piece that mounts to the valve cover somehow. It has two holes at one end, and
a hole/bushing at the other end that is pointed upward at a right angle.
Kevin in Hillsboro, OR
1982 240D 191Kmi, Hildegard

Sent from my iPhone