I got over 1500 mile range with the Aux tanks in the 200D in 1972.   1000 miles to DC, then at least 500 driving around town.  I had hoped to get there and back when I started out, but way more driving around the metro area than I had anticipated (friend's wedding) so I left 10-15 gal in the aux and put fuel in the main tank somewhere around mary's land.  I remember I didn't get 2000 miles out of the setup like I had hoped.  I think it ended up around 1750-1800 miles, had I run all tanks nearly dry.

I did not have any switchover valve.  All I could do was run off the main tank, then when it got low, turn on the other tank until the gauge showed full again.  Gravity feed, no transfer pump.

On the main I could regularly get 500 miles on a tank.