I got the computer (finally, I'm not sure what I do that makes it not want to work, it might be the sequence of connecting cables) to talk to the car, found a load of stored fault codes, cleared all those.  It was showing AAM and DAS faults per the writeups but I cleared them and they did not reappear when I tried to start the car.  Seems like the nannies are talking anyway and recognizing the key codes or something.  Got the (one) key fob to talk to the car too and open/close locks, etc. so that was interesting.  It was a test buried in the menus somewhere, I went through it and lo, things started locking and unlocking, hallelujah.  Somehow I think that thing is needed to make the car run right.  I have 2 plain keys with it too but the plain keys are maybe valet keys and won't let it run fully?  I don't know but I guess they will start it when it decides to start.  The key fob key is broken, came loose from the hinge bit, will epoxy it back in there, but I have it on the ring with the others so maybe it is talking to the nannies.  I'm wondering if that is the problem with the other ML, I only have the one plain key.  Not sure if 99 had all that mess with the electronics.

Tried to start it, no start error code so that was good.  Sounded like the starter solenoid was engaging but starter not spinning. HMMMM.  I've had the charger on the battery to make sure the battery was topped off, seemed a bit low I guess from sitting awhile, and while I was running the tests as I had the switch on a lot.  The charger when I finished was showing the battery was low so I have left it on there.  I'm wondering now if the battery ist kaput. I'll try it tomorrow again, see if it will start.  If not I'll swap another one in and see if that might work.  Won't that be the shi*ts if it is just the battery.

No interior lights come on so that is weird.  I'll CHECK THE FUSES tomorrow.  Also the radio (it has the display screen and nav functions) is wanting the code before it will work, I couldn't seem to find that in the DAS program or anyway to reset it, it might be somewhere in all this software I got, the maintenance stuff.  Or does anyone  know where I might find it?  There is no manual with the car, it was probably in there somewhere but alas it is gone for reasons unclear...  I'll ask the kid if he has it somewhere.

The kid said he was going on line to request a new title, I'll ping him again tomorrow about it.  I think he'll come through. (hoping...)

The adventures of cheap Benzes!

I did kinda go through the car a bit, it is actually very nice so I am hoping I can get things working on it without having to dig into the major electronics modules.  If I do I need to get a hitch to put on it too as it does not have one.  The "Special Edition" was the last 163 model run I guess, not sure what is particularly special about it, but it is nice.

--FT