I’m not surprised that someone has marinized a Mercedes diesel, but I wouldn’t
expect them to be terribly popular due to the limited output.

I’ve never worked with propulsion engines in a boat but I’ve done lots of work
with marine generators, which aren’t a lot different as far as the
modifications necessary to make them work in a marine environment. My takeaway
from the experience made me convinced that a boat is not something I would ever
care to own - unless it was something like a canoe. The adage about them being
"large holes in the water you pour money into” is as true as the one about
there being no such thing as a “cheap Mercedes”…

-D