> On December 27, 2019 at 12:10 AM Larry Turner via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>

> I always thought the PO sticker concerning weapons was ambiguous.  It
> sounded like they were "banned except for lawful purposes".
There's federal law, and there's federal regulations which contradict federal
law but appellate courts uphold them anyway:
https://www.usacarry.com/carrying-concealed-post-office/
Most people can agree it’s illegal to carry concealed inside a Post Office.

I say “most,” because there are a good number of people who think it is legal.
You see, the United States Code (18 U.S.C. 930) that deals with firearms in
federal buildings has a section that says there are certain times you can carry
concealed in a federal building… “The lawful carrying of firearms or other
dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful
purposes.”

People argue that “other lawful purposes” means we can carry for personal
protection because we have a valid concealed carry permit. From what my lawyer
has told me and from all of the research I have done this is NOT true.

In fact, the Code of Federal Regulations – Title 39 – which is named “Conduct
on Postal Property” says “No person while on postal property may carry
firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or
concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.”
So hopefully you understand that you cannot carry concealed inside the Post
Office…

But that’s not my main concern and not why I wrote this today. The reason I
wrote this and the big mistake people make is that you’re not even allowed to
have your gun on Post Office Property. In other words, when you pull into the
parking lot and toss your gun into the glove compartment while you go mail a
letter, you are breaking the law.

I realize that may sound “dumb” and hard to believe, but the above Title 39
paragraph clearly states “on postal property, except for official purposes.”
Now, I had a student who told me that a friend of theirs got arrested in the
Post Office parking lot when a police officer watched him put his gun in his
glove box…

But the most significant proof I found is what actually happened to a postal
employee. A fellow named Clarence Dorosan used to store his gun in his car
while he went to work each day. Somehow, one of this supervisors found out he
had a gun in his car, and he was arrested and fired for having a gun on the
property. I’ve added appellate ruling where the judges upheld his original
conviction below this article.