So the loophole seems to be mailing a firearm.  Maybe get together the
paperwork and box with your home address on it, unload and stuff the weapon
in the box, carry it all to / from the PO as needed.  If challenged, "Hey I
was thinking about mailing this weapon, but I changed my mind.".
Max
Charleston SC