There is much discussion of how to power the tiny villages and such up there.
Very few places are close enough to make sense putting out much power, as the
cost to run wires is huge compared to how much demand for wattage there is.  I
think Kodiak has almost enough demand (powering three other population centers)
to make 25 megawatt.  That is rather large.  Nome has a demand around 8MW and
powers a few villages down about 10 miles of wire in a few directions.

The Alaskan villagers really need to either step back from western luxury, or
invest heavily in CO2 producing generation.  Trouble is, fuel flies in or comes
on a barge.  Very expensive to live in the lap of western tech goodness in such
a desolate place.  Much more reasonable to be on a sheep station in the
outback.  At least you have sun, it is warm, and all you need is to keep the
beer cold.

clay