It does seem silly to me to see the high end homes here plastered with solar
panels (48th parallel) and plug in for the Tesla or Leaf parked in the
driveway.  I did learn that Seattle gets the same amount of insolation as
Alaska (as a whole).  Seattle gets light year round of the same effective
wattage as Alaska, being light only half the time there.  First week of
November past some idiot (AK) who just put panels on his roof was crowing about
how he had generated 4kw that week.  He was all excited to rush down to Seattle
to purchase a used Leaf for $10k (there is a reason the off lease car was
cheap).  I kept my mouth shut about how I hoped he would be walking or riding
his bike all winter, as the panels were not going to power his car.  Not in the
-17c cold that Anchorage is having this week.

clay