> Curt wrote:

> If I didn't have specialty applications to support I'd run
> Ubuntu Linux.

I banish those specialty applications to a virtual machine.  And I
have a bunch. [sigh]  The host is GNU/Linux.  From the host
(Linux) I have good software for browser, email client, pdf
viewer, pdf creating, image/photo editing, vector graphic editing,
CAD, spreadsheet, word processing, music player, video player,
etc.  And then some programs that I rather depend on - some which
might be Linux only, like sshfs, encfs, unison, ssh, SoX, ffmpeg,
BASH, etc.

The virtual machine is for hardware specific software like audio
DSP control, audio mixer remote control, wireless microphone
management, and so on.  Wine doesn't work for most of 'em.

Audio editing in Linux is fair.  Audacity is good at what it does,
but is not a real DAW. Ardour is kinda tricky and picky but is
quite capable.

Video editing in Linux is not so great.  Cinelerra is the best
I've found so far - clumsy, picky, and hard to use. Avid and
FinalCutPro from 20 years ago was better.  I haven't use either in
more than a decade so I don't know how those two are now - but I
do miss FinalCutPro version 2 when I want to edit video.

Almost any Linux will be no more trouble than Apple or
Microsoft.  Just different - and much more "within your control".

> I NEVER upgrade an OS if I can help it. All you're doing is
> bringing bits of the old OS along which at best gives you a
> mish-mosh of stuff and at worst sets you up for misery.

I think that is a description of Win10!!  The control prefs are
such a pain.   New names for the same control.  Access path seems
to be different every time I use it., control some stuff from
here, some from there, some from dialogs from Win7, some from
WinXP - maybe even some from Win95!