Dwight Giles via Mercedes wrote:
Well i am a hard core believer in MI after 18 years of using it in OM 616,
617, 602 &  m272 engines. In the  days when Larry was doing oil testing the
results were amazing- even  @ 12k miles. Also how clean the engine was when
we did a head gasket job on tje  infamous new england 79 240D. My dad used
to say that good oil was cheap insurance so no other brand for me. YMMV

But you can't buy that stuff any more.

When I was reading all the M1 MSDS a year ago, pretty much the only stuff with more than 20% Group IV base stock was Extended Performance and Annual Protection in 0W20 grade. I ran it the EP 5000 miles in the turbo Cruze and it held up well, but the iron level was a bit high, possibly because the oil was marginal on HTHS viscosity.

So now I'm trying to decide whether to run 5W30 of something cheap like M1 or Kendall GT-1 and change it often, or pay 3x as much for Redline or Amsoil and run it for 10-15kmi. I've seen analysis of 5W30 M1 after 7500mi in a Cruze and it's pretty much used up. Makes me wonder how long the current formula 5W40 holds up in a turbo diesel.

My gasser Benz are easy, just run M1 Euro 0W40 in everything now. I've never analyzed it, but I'm sure it's good for 10kmi in a M112. But I'd be wary of running over 5000 miles in a turbo engine, especially over 100hp/liter.

Mitch.