Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes wrote:

A new study finds that hybrids like the Toyota Prius Prime (pictured) have
lower cradle-to-grave emissions than electric vehicles Wikimedia
Commons/Mariordo

So where do lithium free high MPG cars fit in?
I would assume that if you could sell it today, a Sprint/Firefly/Metro with 3cyl/5sp would handily beat a Prius. (hey Randy, if you see a rust free Firefly, I'd like to make a mid engine 50mpg hot rod out of it)

A Mercedes 250 diesel rivals or beats the Prius in anything but pure stoplight to stoplight driving, but the price tag is probably an indication of high energy in manufacture.