well, from 1970 or before, until about 20 years ago when the 240D and 123 300Ds started to age out, ANY running Mercedes Diesel that was not rusted away or crunched was worth at least $5000 on the private sale market.    The glut of 81-84 Diesels, purchased after the second "oel crisis" came on the market about 2000.    I paid $5k for the 81 in late 98.  Had I waited a year or 2, I could have bought one for $1500...   The glut is gone now.   Unfortunately cars produced 15-20 years ago are electronic toys, and because of the unavailability and high cost of electronics, these cars will never be valuable after they leave the stealer lot.

In 1972, I paid $4000 for the 200D, and thought i had a real deal. Turned out I overpaid, but that's another story.

Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 29, 2020 at 10:08 AM
Sold new for $80 k and now lucky if it reaches $20K. This depreciation is
shocking for those of us taught the party line that Mercedes "hold their
value". Even the St. Christopher medal couldn't prevent such a sharp
decline, although it did prevent serious accidents...

When will the curve flatten and head back up? Will this non-classic
designed cabriolet ever attain its original sticker price? Will
silver/gray become chic in the year 2050?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-mercedes-benz-e320-cabriolet-25/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-01-29