My '83 240D once went through 5 reman alternators before I got one that
lasted. I'm not 100% sure but it might have been a dodgy battery killing
alternators or maybe a series of bad alternators ruined the battery. Anyway I
replaced the battery with the 5th alternator and it lasted until the car
finally gave up the ghost.
When buying reman alternators definitely buy from somewhere that gives a
"lifetime" warranty.
-Curt

    On Friday, February 14, 2020, 2:17:53 PM EST, Craig via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 18:57:20 +0000 (UTC) Curt Raymond via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

>  You've got a two pronged problem, its relatively heavy for its size
> and you need to ship it pretty far. This is one of the reasons you're
> usually better of buying something like an alternator locally. If its a
> reman you get the same alternator, you don't pay shipping and you don't
> have to pay to return the core... -Curt

I have had alternator problems on our '89 Chevy Beauville (the BRV). The
first time, because I could not figure out how to remove the serpentine
belt, I had a shop about 20 miles away replace the bad one with a rebuilt
from NAPA. It failed with a bad rear bearing. I took the BRV back and they
replaced it with another rebuilt from NAPA. After a while, it failed (I
don't remember the cause).

In the interim, I discovered how to remove the BRV's serpentine belt, so
I replaced the second bad one with a rebuilt from O'Reilly. So far, it
has held up.

Craig