> Rdeafboy wrote:

>  Looking at Kats 1155 200 watt magnetic block heater [. Anyone
> with experience ...I have two block heaters but DO NOT want to
> chance installing them .. I don't go out if I don't have to in
> freezing weather , but this may be an alternative... 300 watt
> might be better ?? Thanx for your input

The magnetic heaters typically get attached to the oil pan.  The
factory block heaters heat the cooling system.  Warm oil will help
some - but what the diesel needs to run is a warm cylinder head.
That's because the engine has to, via compression, get the air hot
enough to burn the fuel.

So warm oil will help in that the engine can turn over (crank)
faster, but the oil pan is thermally a really long ways away from
the heads.

If your engine really doesn't have a block heater in the freeze
plug hole, then I would consider a Katz heater that installs in
the heater hose.  Not quite as efficient as the one in the block,
but it is heating the water that will heat the cylinder head.