On 25/02/2020 5:22 PM, Clay via Mercedes wrote:
Anchorage homes for the most part have not been built recently enough to
benefit from knowledge of proper arctic and cold weather techniques.  Mostly
standard 2x4 with fiberglass batting if any.  On the plus side, the bettering
of the climate will allow these substandard homes to do well enough in a
warming world

clay

Winnipeg is probably at least as bad as Anchorage for cold weather.

My house was built in 1981 so is not state of the art in terms of insulation etc. However, it is a jump ahead of what was being built in the 60s and into the 70s. We have 2X6 stud walls with fiberglass bats that are 6 (well 5 1/2") thick and at least a foot of blown in cellulose insulation in the attic. It has a plastic vapor barrier installed but not one as good as the builders currently use. They use heavier plastic now and make more of an effort to avoid punctures etc. We have double pane windows for the most part in the original house. They do fine except in very cold days when we sometimes get a bit of moisture condensing on the inside glass. We put an addition on in 1987 and used triple pane windows in it. I think that was a mistake as I do not think they are much better and the seals have failed in all of them while the double pane windows are still good and they are older. That might be an issue of who built the windows I suppose.

I guess if I were to build a new house, I would likely make it more efficient but our existing house has been pretty good.

It is also possible to upgrade a house. One could add on more insulation on the exterior walls etc. There is lots of available information on how to do so.

RB