On 26/02/2020 2:47 PM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
When I was researching energy saving enhancements to my house a few years ago
this came up. Spraying insulating foam on the back (underside) of the roof.
Only problem is that it’s difficult to do it once the house is built out. I did
the numbers and the payback wasn’t worth it.

I’ve discussed this before, but I’ll do it again for the benefit of the
conversation:

Go through your house and seal every last penetration of the living area. This
means taking all of the covers off of electrical boxes, light fixtures, you
name it, if they’re on an exterior wall or attic facing ceiling. Get some tubes
of caulk and go at it. Seal around where the box meets the drywall and any
holes or penetrations in the box, like where the wires come into it.

To give you an idea of the gaps that can potentially exist, I did this on the
house we just moved into while I was painting. In a 2400+ square foot house I
went through four tubes of latex caulk. Think about the surface area that
covers if it was laid out 1/4” thick.

That’s a pretty big area, I’m guessing a good three square feet, probably more.
Think about how much air could go through an opening that size, going in or out.

This is the second house I’ve done this to. In the last one it made a
noticeable difference in energy consumption, easily knocking 10%-15% off of the
electric bill, which is both our cooling and heat. I don’t have a point of
reference for the new house, but I’m sure it will make a difference.

-D

I think that may work better in your climate than mine. You can make a house too tight and create other problems.

RB