When I worked remotely I got a lot more done because I could focus on getting stuff done without distractions, and when I took a break I got that done then back to work.  I always had my phone with me so if I needed to do that it didn't matter.  It really is a much better way to do business, most people do not need to be in an office and it saves companies a lot of money on office space and increases productivity of office-type people.  IBM about 20some years ago went to more of a remote model, they had small offices for hot-desking or customer meetings if needed, but mostly people worked at home or on the road.  For cities it cuts back a lot on needs for more roads and such if people aren't clogging things up at rush hours.

One summer we stayed at my wife's family beach house on Nantucket for a month in the summer when the kids were little, I worked in the mornings and other times if I needed to, and took vacation time in the afternoons, that was awesome, sitting on the deck working, looking at the beach...  No one really knew where I was as most of my work was with my partners in UK, Europe, and AUS so the time difference worked to my advantage.  The ones who knew were really jealous!

--FT