Cool.

Herndon. Is named after the Captain of the US Central America, which went
down off South Carolina in 8000 feet of water in 1840 or so with a half
billion dollars in federal reserve gold on it. All the passengers were
saved as I recall. It was an old side wheel steamer and they hit a
hurricane just this side of Cuba. Pounding into the seas caused the planks
to flex and start leaking, which caused the ship to list, extinguishing the
leeward boiler and lifting the windward wheel clear of the water.
Miraculously their flares were seen and other ships stood by while she
sank, offloading most of the passengers and crew.

But not the gold. That was recovered by ROV shortly after the wreck was
located by side scan sonar. The team included a jazz saxophonist and was
funded by an accounting firm from Ohio. The book is called Ship of Gold as
I recall. Great read.

Karl
Sitting in his car waiting for the rear brakes to cool off enough for it to
move again (must be the master after all).