Peter wrote:
Those are maximum and minimum volume
marks, not recommended levels.

That statement makes good sense. So the upper mark is not saying "this is
where you should run the oil level" rather, it's saying "do not fill it
higher than here".

AND...
David Wrote:
On some engines it also helps get the oil away
from the crankshaft, which makes it foam less at high RPMs.

Thanks for reminding me of that - the baffle. Yes, mine does have it, and I
was taught that it was chiefly to keep the crank from sloshing around in it,
thus being robbed of some power. I know, that could fall under the voodoo
category. It does seem more important to avoid foaming.
AND...
Peter wrote:
Below the bottom mark and you don't have enough oil reserve, it will
run hotter, and you risk reduced engine life.

Do you mean run hotter due to lower volume of oil (as in, it's harder to
heat up a swimming pool than a bath tub), or,  do you mean that it will run
hotter because of more friction due to insufficient oil delivery to parts?

Brian
83 240D