Just wanted to follow up for kudos to Grant - Here’s why:

After I used Don’s epoxy approach on the line break successfully I was able to
pressurize the circuit. I knew I had at least one leak in the circuit as I had
nicked the line with a shovel a few days ago when putting some new plantings
in. As this leak was in an area close to another oak tree with prodigious
roots, I used Grant’s suggestion in a slightly different way:

I have one of those little chain saw limb attachments for my weed wacker. I
don’t really care what happens to the chain, as it’s cheap and easily replaced.
With Grant’s suggestion in mind, I used my chain saw/weed wacker to carve out a
section of earth around the affected line. It made getting to the cracked
section a piece of cake.

I used a union and a coupling to patch the line, only to find out that there
was another crack just a couple feet away! So again, I’ve utilized Grant’s
chain saw excavation method to clear out the area around the newly discovered
leak so I can patch it tonight after work.

Both of these areas are covered with roots going every direction ranging from
maybe 1/2” and smaller. The little chain saw goes through these like butter,
allowing me to quickly excavate the area and not have to fight the roots.

Thanks, Grant!

-D