I did not know where to get this question answered so I decided to submit it
to the boys at The Mercedes Digest.  Somebody there surely knows the
answer. After all, it is an automotive question, right?

After wearing my COVID face mask in the car, I leave it on the dashboard  so
the sun's rays have an opportunity to kill any harmful microbes that may be
present. Which brings up the question of whether or not  the ultraviolet
rays can penetrate glass, specifically automotive windshield glass. It is my
understanding that to kill microbes, a wavelength of 254 nanometers is
necessary, most of which doesn't make it to earth. So is this a useful
practice or a fool's errand?

Jerry

1982 240D