Gary Hurst wrote:
the problem, okey, is that odds are the white stuff cars were just plain
better taken care of overall.  to my knowledge, there is no test of white
stuff vs green stuff telling us which to use in our older cars.

i use the white stuff, but it is VERY convenient for me to do so

The Mercedes, Zerex G-05, Peak Global Lifetime, etc. antifreezes (NOTHING made by Prestone - at least yet) are different than MOST other US products and are desirable in old or new Mercedes gasoline and diesel cars. The formulas and properties of the Mercedes approved products ARE different from those more universally available in the US and use of unapproved products WILL compromise the cooling system and shorten the life of the system or even the engine. MB approved coolants are particularly desirable in Mercedes cars made in the last 25 years because of the variety of metals and plastics used in the systems but they provide benefits in older cars as well.

Since Ford and Chrysler now require Mercedes formula (G-05) antifreeze in some of their engines, more brands are selling compatible products, but Prestone has not joined the crowd.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)