On Fri, 15 May 2020 14:35:53 -0400 Allan Streib via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:
>
> > Trust me, if it wasn’t a money saving thing, Publix wouldn’t be doing
> > it. The margins in the grocery business are so thin they don’t spend
> > a penny without justifying it.
>
> Probably the reduced heat output of the lights is the biggest thing,
> along with turning them off when nobody is nearby.
>
> Bright lighting is important for merchandise appeal leading to impulse
> purchases, but at the same time you'd like to avoid hot lights in a
> freezer!

Some of the stores here (our local Wal-Mart, for example) have general
lighting which is turned on or off depending on how bright the sun coming
through the skylights is. The Wal-Mart, as large as it is, controls the
lights in relatively small sectors, so if one skylight is blocked by a
cloud only the lights in that area are turned on.

Craig