> OK wrote:

> ah, grasshopper. Did no one teach you to drive a manual without
> a clutch??

> You have to "match shift" going up and down the gears - match
> the engine speed as closely as you can to the next gear -

With the synchromesh it's easy.  The shifter won't move into the
next gate until the speeds match.  Just apply a bit of pressure
until it moves, then snap it into gear.

> I learned this way back when - the clutch cable in my 1951 VW
> broke while I was on the other side of town - figured it out and
> drove home without incident. It helped that this tranny had NO
> synchromesh -

Without synchromesh, the shifts can be faster because the matching
speed can be anticipated just a bit.  But it's also a lot easier
to miss and make a lot of noise.  "Just lightening the truck a bit
by taking some metal off the gears."

With 7 (rare) 9, 10, 13, 15, or 18 speed transmissions there is
lots of opportunity to practice.

Truck driver call this clutch-less shifting "floating" and many,
many of them do it. Most truck still use manual transmissions
without synchromsh - but that is changing...