Right, but they claim it's anonymized. Is it really? Who knows.

I keep location services turned off on my phone anyway. I know that
doesn't prevent cell tower triangulation, but I don't think that's
something an app can really do, it has to be done by the carrier.

Also Google and Apple who have been working on a contract tracing
framework for COVID-19, have refused to allow app developers access to
location data, to the frustration of health authorities.

So the point is, it's harder for the government here to do contact
tracing via mobile phone than it is in say China or Singapore where they
can just demand all records and get them without pushback.

Allan