Clay you make a good point: we should have been using those centers to
isolate exposed contacts of known cases.

For example, this is what happens when they detect a case in South Korea:
they hunt everyone down and isolate them for a bit, and the epidemic dies.
Fitness instructors infected 83 people I think. Attack rate of 25%.

Cluster of Coronavirus Disease Associated with Fitness Dance Classes, South
Korea
Research Letter CDC Emerging Infectious Diseases

Disclaimer: Early release articles are not considered as final versions.
Any changes will be reflected in the online version in the month the
article is officially released.

Abstract
During 24 days in Cheonan, South Korea, 112 persons were infected with
severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 associated with fitness
dance classes at 12 sports facilities. Intense physical exercise in densely
populated sports facilities could increase risk for infection. Vigorous
exercise in confined spaces should be minimized during outbreaks.

By April 30, 2020, South Korea had reported 10,765 cases of coronavirus
disease (COVID-19) (1); ≈76.2% of cases were from Daegu and North
Gyeongsang provinces. On February 25, a COVID-19 case was detected in
Cheonan, a city ≈200 km from Daegu. In response, public health and
government officials from Cheonan and South Chungcheong Province activated
the emergency response system. We began active surveillance and focused on
identifying possible COVID-19 cases and contacts. We interviewed
consecutive confirmed cases and found all had participated in a fitness
dance class. We traced contacts back to a nationwide fitness dance
instructor workshop that was held on February 15 in Cheonan.

Fitness dance classes set to Latin rhythms have gained popularity in South
Korea because of the high aerobic intensity (2). At the February 15
workshop, instructors trained intensely for 4 hours. Among 27 instructors
who participated in the workshop, 8 had positive real-time reverse
transcription PCR (RT-PCR) results for severe acute respiratory syndrome
coronavirus 2, which causes COVID-19; 6 were from Cheonan and 1 was from
Daegu, which had the most reported COVID-19 cases in South Korea. All were
asymptomatic on the day of the workshop.

By March 9, we identified 112 COVID-19 cases associated with fitness dance
classes in 12 different sports facilities in Cheonan (Figure). All cases
were confirmed by RT-PCR; 82 (73.2%) were symptomatic and 30 (26.8%) were
asymptomatic at the time of laboratory confirmation. Instructors with very
mild symptoms, such as coughs, taught classes for ≈1 week after attending
the workshop (Appendix). The instructors and students met only during
classes, which lasted for 50 minutes 2 times per week, and did not have
contact outside of class. On average, students developed symptoms 3.5 days
after participating in a fitness dance class (3). Most (50.9%) cases were
the result of transmission from instructors to fitness class participants;
38 cases (33.9%) were in-family transmission from instructors and students;
and 17 cases (15.2%) were from transmission during meetings with coworkers
or acquaintances.

Among 54 fitness class students with confirmed COVID-19, the median age was
42, all were women, and 10 (18.5%) had preexisting medical conditions
(Appendix Table 1). The most common symptom at the time of admission for
isolation was cough in 44.4% (24/54) of cases; 17 (31.5%) case-patients had
pneumonia. The median time to discharge or end of isolation was 27.6 (range
13–66) days after symptom onset.

Before sports facilities were closed, a total of 217 students were exposed
in 12 facilities, an attack rate of 26.3% (95% CI 20.9%–32.5%) (Appendix
Table 2). Including family and coworkers, transmissions from the
instructors accounted for 63 cases (Appendix Figure 2). We followed up on
830 close contacts of fitness instructors and students and identified 34
cases of COVID-19, translating to a secondary attack rate of 4.10% (95% CI
2.95%–5.67%). We identified 418 close contacts of 34 tertiary transmissions
before the quarantine and confirmed 10 quaternary cases from the tertiary
cases, translating to a tertiary attack rate of 2.39% (95% CI 1.30%–4.35%).

The instructor from Daegu who attended the February 15 workshop had
symptoms develop on February 18 and might have been presymptomatic during
the workshop. Evidence of transmission from presymptomatic persons has been
shown in epidemiologic investigations of COVID-19 (4,5).
Characteristics that might have led to transmission from the instructors in
Cheonan include large class sizes, small spaces, and intensity of the
workouts. The moist, warm atmosphere in a sports facility coupled with
turbulent air flow generated by intense physical exercise can cause more
dense transmission of isolated droplets (6,7). Classes from which secondary
COVID-19 cases were identified included 5–22 students in a room ≈60 m2
during 50 minutes of intense exercise. We did not identify cases among
classes with <5 participants in the same space. Of note, instructor C
taught Pilates and yoga for classes of 7–8 students in the same facility at
the same time as instructor B (Figure; Appendix Table 2), but none of her
students tested positive for the virus. We hypothesize that the lower
intensity of Pilates and yoga did not cause the same transmission effects
as those of the more intense fitness dance classes.

A limitation of our study is the unavailability of a complete roster of
visitors to the sports facilities, which might have meant we missed
infections among students during surveillance and investigation efforts.
Discovery of outbreak cases centered on exercise facilities led to a survey
of instructors who participated in a fitness dance workshop and provided
clues to identifying additional cases among students. Early identification
of asymptomatic persons with RT-PCR–confirmed infections helped block
further transmissions. Because of the increased possibility of infection
through droplets, vigorous exercise in closely confined spaces should be
avoided (8) during the current outbreak, as should public gatherings, even
in small groups (9,10).
Dr. Jang is a clinical assistant professor in the Division of Infectious
Diseases, Department of Medicine, Dankook University Hospital. His research
interests include ecology of infectious disease, hospital infection
control, and trauma related infections.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/8/20-0633_article