> figuring out a way to clamp it ensuring that the shaft stays perpendicular

Not too much necessary.  The part probably cracked and the crack propagated
along one leg.  Once broken, the additional movement stressed the second leg to
break.  Once cracked it probably wasn't properly perpendicular anymore, yet was
still washing.  Also, pot metal tends to warp with age, so no decent engineer
would
have used it for anything truly critical.  My guess is that glued good is good
enough.
You are relying on the cracked edges joining up again rather closely.

I'd use a Dremel metal brush for cleanup, wherever the regular Makita wouldn't
reach.

As far as fitting wood goes, we're talking more about whittling than any kind of
tight fit.  You're just space-filling, to avoid going broke with JB-Weld.  I'm
guessing
an hour of labor, plus glue curing time.  Plus re-assembly.

-- Jim