Find some old magazines and look at the ads for the fairmont and the mercury equivalent. Maybe I have the wrong ford, but I think it was a fairmont. Some of the ads even showed the fomoco product in front of a 123, and talked about how it was good as or better than the Mercedes. That grill didn't get its shape for no reason. Many American cars of about 1980 vintage and beyond have grills and tail lights inspired by the 123. Hmmmmm I seem to remember first year taurus ads comparing it to Mercedes too.

At 01:55 AM 5/4/2006, you wrote:
On 5/3/06, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Loren Faeth wrote:
> > Yep, I like my story about the 190Dc (110) vs the ford fairmont
> (imitation
> > Mercedes)
> >

> I have to say the idea of the Ford Fairmont being an imitation Mercedes
> had never occurred to me.  My dad had an '81, and it redefined the term
> 'stripper'.  Cars don't come much more basic than that.  It was
> reliable, but not long lived.

What makes the Fairmont an imitation Mercedes?  I thought it was the Granada
that was marketed as "European luxury at an American price" or some such.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo
'93 Isuzu Trooper